Tuesday, May 29

Another blogging bit

When I look at the number of times I write about blogging and bloggers, even I am surprised -- but the subject does fascinate me and when one keeps a weblog, you stumble upon other blogs all the time -- either whilst looking for information or when Google alerts pop up. It is a voyage of discovery -- all those millions of blogs out there! And the occasional blog in another language that links up with mine poses a real challenge - to respond with the help of dictionaries can be much fun! But the interesting thing is of course what brought them to my blog in the first place?
My tracking system tells me where my readers live, what their referring URL was that brought them to my blog, what they looked at and how long they stayed. What the tracking system does not tell you is whether they liked what they saw -- unless they leave a comment or send me an email. Fortunately this does happen quite frequently --
I do not get many comments, but I do receive many emails -- and I love that, because it generates lively discussions, I learn so much about other people and other places, I share passions and interest with others who have the same--- and I make new friends!


Here are just a few blogs that I have discovered in recent times:

The Coffee House The Spectator newspaper's blog. Good commentary on what is happening in particular on the British political scene and a great way to stay current.


Taxi Stories . Bob ---
• Gender: Male
• Industry: Transportation
• Occupation: Taxi Driver
• Location: Barrow in Furness : Cumbria : United Kingdom
-- says : "I've been round the block a few times now, but still as sharp as mustard. A keen observer of the human condition I see what others often overlook."
This is a delightful and insightful blog, very well written - and yes, he is correct in saying he often sees what others overlook. I wanted to say that 'very original', but Bob is linked up to a whole range of taxi driver blogs, which is not really surprising -- how often have you yourself said -- "Ah! What they must see and hear! Taxi drivers should write books!" Well, here it is -- Bob is doing it. Do go have a look.
And while you are there, also click on his second blog, , a photographic versionof taking a look at what others often miss --- here he takes two steps back and looks at things from a different angle. He is not only a good writer, but an excellent photographer.


Blogflux's Top blogs - always of interest to see what is out there and what is rated as 'top' blogs. I am still not able to figure out what makes these blogs the 'top' blog -- whether it is by readership numbers or by any other criteria. -- Perhaps someone can tell me?


Boer in Ballingskap is a blog by a fellow South African who lives and works in Korea. As it is written in Afrikaans, it may not be understandable to all of you, and more is the pity. He writes well and has an easy style -- and more importantly, he is interesting, informative and -- unique! -- as he must be the only Afrikaans blogger in the ancient town of Gyeongju, 4 hours to the south of Seoul! He makes me smile and he makes me think and he makes me remember.... I like that.




Then there is one blog that I was wondering whether to mention, or not. Post Secrets is a blog where "You are invited to anonymously contribute your secrets to PostSecret. Each secret can be a hope, regret, funny experience, unseen kindness, fantasy, belief, fear, betrayal, erotic desire, confession, or childhood humiliation. Reveal anything - as long as it is true and you have never shared it with anyone before.". I hesitated as this is one of those places that can delight on one day and cause great discomfort the next. Whatever it does to you on the given day that you have a look at this blog (as the postcards change regularly and vary from one extreme to another), it will make you stop for a few moments...


And then -- the loveliest discovery of a long time! It was a little like digging a hole in the rich garden soil to plant a new rose bush, and suddenly finding something glinting in the sun. And when you retrieve it from the soil, you find it is a precious little something from your past that you had lost many years before.

Musings of a textile itinerant is a blog written by a woman who lives in Gellibrand, Victoria, Australia, Dijanne Cevaal. What caught my eye was a Google alert on "Dordogne" and her mentioning that she is considering coming to live here for a while. I then found her blog and this piece of fabric that she had dyed (is there some batik used as well?)and called "Summer Forest" and I just fell in love! This is so exactly like the forest I walk through almost every morning that I was sure Dijanne must have been there with me!
I am definitely hoping that someone here has a place for Dijanne to rent, because I would love nothing more than welcoming this gifted artist into our community -- and even having her present textile making classes here at Chateau Lalinde! I shall most certainly start working on making that happen!
And in the mean time, I shall continue to enjoy her beautiful blog!




Relevant Links on this blog:

The Power of Blogging
The Unedited voice of the people
The Blooker prize for Blogs
Chateau Lalinde Blog
About blogs
Blogging in France
10 Coolest blogs
Still blogging
Google's Zeitgeist and blogging

Click on Link:

  • Chateau Lalinde : The perfect venue for your event

  • Relocation Orientation in France






  • Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...