Saturday, September 16

My own Heritage Day whilst it still rains over the Dordogne

Rain Rain Rain! It has not stopped for almost 36 hours now! - and instead of venturing out to visit one of the Journée du Patrimoine events or activities, I decided to stay put at the chateau today and do something patrimoin-esque of my own -- doing what my ancestors probably also would have been doing at this time of the year, as the leaves start to change colour and the temperatures start dropping and the first autumnal rains set in -- I spent the day making jams and preserves and chutney!




Green Fig Jam: I searched everywhere in all my recipe books and files for a good Green Fig Preserve -- the kind that my mother always had in her pantry and which is so delicious when served with strong cheeses! - but could not find a recipe anywhere. If anyone out there has a good old South African Green Fig Preserve recipe, please share it with us! So the fig jam was made roughly (boil the figs in a syrup) according to my No-Recipe Cherry Jam --(I used whole unpeeled small green figs, and tried to keep them as whole as possible, so only a few of the much riper ones disintegrated into the jam. This can be done when the figs are small enough -- otherwise it will become too difficult to serve the jam!) -- it turned out delicious, but not as clear as I would have liked. I am not sure why the syrup is slightly murky and not clear -- any suggestions?




"Canned" Apples:
I have a wonderful recipe for a baked apple pudding, but need tinned apples for it and there does not seem to be any such thing in France. So -- when Kathy and JF presented me with a large case of apples from their copious trees, I had to make sure I prepared enough apples to last me for many delicious desserts -- breakfast fruit, tart fillings -- wherever apples are called for! I simply followed this simply recipe:

Syrup: One part sugar for three parts water. Boil until sugar is well dissolved.

Peel and core and halve the apples and keep them in a container of water with 2 table spoons of salt and 1/2 cup of white vinegar, to prevent them from turning brown.
When all the apples are peeled, rinse the apples and boil them in the syrup until the apples are tender but not soft.
Pack the apples tightly in boiled/sterilised jars, fill up with syrup -- making sure that all the air bubbles are out by gently putting a flat knife down the sides of the jar and gently pressing inwards - and seal.
Store in a dark cool place. (once again - I store the jars upside down to prevent mould - just make sure they are well sealed!)


Onion Chutney:
No pantry should ever be without this chutney! I serve it with roasts - especially pork and beef roast -- and it always elicits a chorus of oohs and ahs and very generous compliments!
Unfortunately I cannot give measurements of any of the ingredients -- I tend to taste as I go along and also use different quantities of onions every time. But here goes for the basics!:

2kg Small baby onions, peeled and quartered (try to get the smallest available - if they are really small, you can use them whole)
1kg echalottes, peeled and sliced lengthwise
Sprinkle two tbls salt over the onions and cover them with boiling water. Let stand for about three hours.
Boil:
4 cups sugar
7 cups white vinegar
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup black pepper corns
1/2 cup coriander seed
1 tbsp ground cloves
2 cups sultanas
1 tbl mustard powder
1 tbl ground ginger
1/2 tbsp turmeric
2 tbls medium curry powder
1 (360gr) tin of tomato pulp

The syrup will thicken to a degree, but if not enough, add 2 tbls cornflower dissolved in 1 cup of cold water, add and allow to boil, while stirring, until the syrup thickens and is clear.
Drain the onions and add to the syrup. Allow to simmer gently for at least an hour. The chutney will darken and thicken.
When the onions are translucent and soft, pour into sterilised jars and seal.








Click on Link:

  • Chateau Lalinde : The perfect venue for your event



  • TAGS:



    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...