Wednesday, August 18

French Phrase for the day




la boucle est bouclée
=
to come full circle


Ever since I arrived in the Dordogne, I have been telling people that the reason I believe I am so totally bien dans mon peau (feel good in my own skin = at home) here, is because I have fait un cercle plein (completed the circle);

My ancestors, who were French Huguenots, left their home in 1682, boarded a tiny ship in the harbour of La Rochelle, not far from here, and sailed for South Africa. I, last in line of the last male descendant of the youngest of the three brothers de Villiers that left on that fine day in 1682, have now come back chez moi (home).


Only, every time I have made the remark, no one has corrected me and given me the correct French idiomatic expression for faire un cercle plein/complet -- to come the full circle.

Now I know -- la boucle est bouclée -- so, I suppose that means I can say that again -- finally the circle is indeed complete -- la boucle est bouclée!




Speaking of which, peu importe (no matter) the language -- coming the full circle is a law of nature...




Click on Link:
  • Chateau Lalinde : The perfect venue for your event
  • Relocation Orientation in France
  • Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...